Translate

Friday, July 13, 2018

Feed me little lies...



It was on this rainy afternoon when Clara realises that her career doesn’t fill the void for relationships or even marriage. She’s a career woman, yet a degree can’t keep the bed warm … that’s what her mother use to say. And she would just laugh it off. And today she misses her mom. She looks at the portrait on her desk, lean over and rub over her mom’s face. “Wish you were here now…” and hear her cell phone go off and pick it up – just to see it’s a message from her sister Lisa, who’s reminding her of dinner tonight.

Clara and Lisa are the only two offspring of Seth and Kareline Davis. They raised them well, and they went to good schools and both went to university and have good jobs. Lisa got married and has a two-year-old, but Clara was not the “housewife” type. At least that’s what she thought..

Yes, She prefers her red wine and own space. Her career is successful, and she doesn’t need a man. That’s what she’s telling everyone, who’s questioning her biological clock but, she’s lonely…

Its been raining non-stop and Clara still needs to get ready to go home, but her work has always been her priority.
She has been a litigator at a very successful law firm for almost 12 years now and she is ready to make partner. But being the only woman, she doesn’t really stand a chance but she’s very determined and that is why she works so hard to prove her worth. Her office phone is ringing and it’s her assistant, saying there’s a man who wanted to see her. 

“I thought I was done for the day Melany” she answered. 

“He insisted.” Melany replied. 

“Let him in” Clara said and put the phone down. She knows who that can be … and Clara can’t help but to smile. 

There’s a quick knock and the door open and there he stands. The man between her reality and insanity. 

Mark and Clara have been lovers for a few months now, but the only reason why they never made it official is because Mark is married. 

“I told you its risky to come to my work” she calmly says to him, but her heart is beatboxing in her chest. He is wearing a tight shirt and grey pants that’s bulging his manliness. That arms ... gosh. And she feels the heat on her cheeks. 

He walks around her desk and say, “I just can’t stay away” and give her kiss on her mouth.
She moves backwards with her chair to break the kiss and say, “I’m not joking Mark” and stand up. 

                                                            She knows that this is wrong and if anyone should find out…


“I had to come see if you are okay. You don’t return my calls or texts” he replied and walk back to sit across her. 

“I’ve been busy. And I’ve been thinking… Mark this is wrong. On so many levels” Clara say to him. Mark is also a successful lawyer with his own firm. “Don’t…. please” Mark say and change the subject.

“What’s your plans for tonight?”

“I’m having dinner with Lisa tonight … ” and Mark’s eyebrows raised.

 “Cancel” he answers and stand up. “She will understand. Just tell her... um tell her that you have a big case tomorrow and must prepare -” Clara interrupts him,

“- I’ve cancelled three times on her. And we haven’t seen each other since the funeral” And turn around to look at the rainfall outside. “And besides, it’s not like I can go out and have a proper date night with you” she says to him.

He walks across the room and stand behind her and say, “Clara, I love my wife and I respect her, but you… you make everything seems better. You make my world better” and rest his hands on her hips as he moves closer to her. She can feel his manliness behind her as he holds her close to him. He turns her around and kiss her deeply. After he kissed her, they both looked deep in each other’s eyes and knew this is what they both wanted. But he’s not mine, Clara thinks and looked away to hide the hurt in her eyes. 

He gently touches her chin and force her to look at him “It will be fine” he says to her. He’s a very attractive man and can have any woman in this world. Including her…

She quickly looks at her watch and say, “I have to go. We will talk again and please, don’t come to my work. I will call you” and he nodded and give her a kiss on the forehead. Before he walks out the door, he looks back and say, “It will be fine” and close the door behind him.

She gathers some documents she wants to take home with her and put them in her suitcase. As she passes her assistant, she notices the disgusted look on Melany’s face.  She just mumbles a “Have a good evening” and walk as fast as she can. I already feel guilty, I don’t need her to make it worse – Clara thinks. As she left the building, she realises Mark’s car is still outside, but his nowhere to be seen.  She gets into hers, start and drove off. 

Arrive home, she got out of the car and rushed to the front door because she’s already late for her date with Lisa. She put down her suitcase and handbag and go to her room where she undresses her and take a shower. 

After she took a shower, Clara realises that she didn’t even replied to Lisa’s text and walks to the lounge where she put down her handbag and suitcase. Suddenly she feels strange… as if she’s been watched. Ah, you’re imagining things Clara, and shakes her shoulders. She sends Lisa a text and goes to her room again. She walks towards her cupboard to look for something to wear when she suddenly hears a man’s voice behind her “And where do you think you’re going?” frightened, she turned around and its Mark. “OH MY GOD! What are you doing here? She asked, shocked because he didn’t even call to say his coming over.

“I decided to come here instead of going home. We could spend the night …” and walks towards her and play with her wet hair. “I told you I’m having a date with Lisa” she replied. 

“We can spend the night … we can order in and drink wine ... please don’t go -” and there is something in his eyes that concern Clara.

“I already told her I will make it Mark and she will wait for me” she says.

 And turn around to pick a dress. This will do - its comfortable and I can wear it with boots and a jacket, she thinks and grabs a mini black dress off the railing.

He walks towards her and grabs the dress out of her hand and says, “You are going nowhere!” and looks at Clara, angry. 

“Go home Mark” Clara say, “Before your wife wonder where you are – “

“No she won’t.” He says

“Just go, I need to get dress still and you can’t seems to make up your mind about what you want” Clara says, now getting frustrated at Mark’s childish act.

“I told you I love my wife. And I need you to respect that Clara … she’s my wife” almost begging her.

And Clara replied, “But she’s my sister” and grab the dress back from him, turn around and walks towards the bathroom.
…..

No comments:

Post a Comment